Deputies serve civil papers relating to judicial actions to include protective orders, judgments, garnishments, summons, writs, and subpoenas.
- They provide security in the courts and courthouse.
- They transport inmates to and from other jails and state penal institutions throughout the state.
- Deputies transport patients to and from state hospitals for mental evaluations and commitments.
- They retrieve felons that have been charged with a crime in Habersham County by conducting extraditions from within and outside the state of Georgia.
- They serve the juvenile court by conducting all juvenile transport services and provide security and law enforcement services to the Juvenile Court either in Habersham or Stephens County.
In 2013 the Courthouse was moved and rebuilt.
In 1963, this courthouse was torn down, and Habersham’s fourth and current courthouse was built the following year in an adjacent block. A combination bell tower/elevator was added to the front of the courthouse in 1983.
This building served until 1898, when it was damaged by a mysterious explosion. That same year, the old courthouse was torn down and a large two-story brick courthouse with clock tower was constructed in its place.